Monday, June 1, 2015

Dale's Ride - Progress Reports


A couple of months ago you read about Dale Stanley's ride (Join Us in Support of Dale's Important Contribution - We Are So Proud of Him).

And many of you contributed to help with his fund-raising for the AIDS/LifeCycle, in support of the life-saving services offered by San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles LGBT Center.

Now he's on his way.

And because we all want to know how he is doing, Dale is reporting to us on his progress:
May 30: I promised I'd keep you up-to-date on my ride. Thought I'd test this from home first. I attended an orientation today at the Cow Palace, where we will ride out at 6am tomorrow. It's going to be an amazing scene and Debi & perhaps a friend or two will be there to see me off. 
Thanks again for your donations and thoughts and prayers. $6,626.80!! 
May 31: Made it to camp 1, a little over 80 miles today!  I think I pushed it a little hard -- came in at 149 out of over 1100 riders. It was overcast all down the coast from SF to Santa Cruz, but still beautiful and nice and cool. 
The opening ceremony was moving. Most of the thousands in the room have lost friends and loved ones to this horrible disease. The Gilead Team was honored to ride out just behind the large group of riders who are HIV positive. 
Thanks again for your support. This is so worthwhile.
Jun 2: A pretty good ride, today!  Only 65 miles, but included "The Quadbuster" some great downhill, and a very hot finish into Paso Robles. Doing well on the QB and it being a short day made me confident and I pushed it to number 97 out of the 2200 riders today. I'm dehydrated and sunburned, but got here in time to get some water and rest. 
But my numbers and how well I'm doing is not important compared to this number:    $16 MILLION!!  That's what you helped raise for this life-saving cause. I am proud to represent  you! 
Highlight of the day was when all 2200 of us invaded the little town of Bradley (pop 120). Every kid in town along with parents and teachers held a massive bbq as a fundraiser for the school. 
Jun 3: A really good day. 93 miles, hit the half-way point, and according to some random guy in the middle of nowhere, we crossed over to So Cal. I suppose the highlight was with most of the Gilead Team with the Truvada guy at the half-way point. Also two women who met on last-year's ride got engaged there today. Many amazing stories of how death, sickness, and life have brought people together. 
Thanks for your support of this.
June 8 - Dale's Final Report: I did the 545 miles, over 60 of you helped raise nearly $7,000 that contributed to the more than $6.3 Million that will help save the lives of those with HIV/AIDS. Thank you! And thanks to all of you who thought of me and gave me words of encouragement during this journey. Together, we did it!
 Congratulations, Dale! We are so very proud of you!


No comments: